"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails." ~John Maxwell

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Body Fat @ 16.6%

Let me start by saying I have no clue where I will end up for my 1st show, but I will not be happy until I get around 12%.  Knowing me, it will probably take 9-10% to truly make me feel good about telling people that %.  As I am app. 17 weeks out from my 1st show, the 16.6% is not weighing too heavily on me.  Over the next 2 and 1/2 weeks (by Feb 1st) I would like to see that % drop to around 15, preferably less than 15.  Then at 2% each month after I will be very happy.  If that is even possible, I could be in my 1st show at about 7-9% body fat.  Cool!! 

Just wanted to show you this I found online about body fat %'s in women:

Women
AgeUnderfatHealthy RangeOverweightObese
20-40 yrsUnder 21%21-33%33-39%Over 39%
41-60 yrsUnder 23%23-35%35-40%Over 40%
61-79 yrsUnder 24%24-36%36-42%Over 42%


And I found this on bodybuilding.com:

The fitness/figure physique promotes a look of symmetry, healthy muscle tone, and exceptional but not excessive body conditioning. Women everywhere possess a wide range of physiques and shapes. Begin your assessment by analyzing your body composition and determine your body fat percentage. Since height, bone density, body shape and various other factors play a role, body weight is not the ideal indicator of what your best physique is. Female bodybuilders compete at an average body fat percentage of 6-10%. The average body fat percentage for female athletes is around 16 - 20 %. A fitness/figure athlete will aim for a 9 - 15% body fat. Determining how much of your body composition is lean muscle mass and how much is body fat will help you evaluate your level of muscular development. Your muscular development should be distinct enough to identify the major muscle groups. For example, you should have an above average development of the traps, shoulders, biceps and triceps, abs, lats, glutes, hamstrings, quads, and calves. Your body conditioning will also help display the lines outlining these muscle groups if you are lean enough. If you are carrying too much body fat, it will be difficult to identify the quality of your muscle mass. You will need your muscles to look hard and firm. This hardness will be the result of minimizing your body fat. The lower your body fat, the more vascularity will be seen by the judges. However, unlike bodybuilding, excessive conditioning and over muscularity is discouraged. Get lean, but stay away from attaining striations in your physique.


OK let's see what I can do now....

1 comment:

  1. :) keep going till your happy! its your body! It also differs what bf% looks like on people!

    ReplyDelete