"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails." ~John Maxwell

Friday, February 18, 2011

I am sooo sleepy! Part 2

I pulled this off the jimmysmithtraining.com website today: 

Missing sleep, even for one night,wrecks your immune system and increases the stress on your body ten-fold.
So what happens then?
Well as we don’t sleep, we increase our insulin resistance which raises cortisol(that nasty anti-muscle hormone) and leads to more and more fat finding a home on our waistline. High levels of cortisol, over time, actually rip apart our collagen which leads to “swiss cheese” legs in women and overall bad skin, everywhere.
Look at sleep as two phases (there’s actually five), REM sleep, not Michael Stipe, and deep sleep. Once we hit deep sleep our body will start changing hormone patterns and will put us into a even deeper sleep, almost like a coma. It’s during this period that that our body will try to repair, recover and grow. Once we progress to REM sleep we actually start to wake up, our body starts go through more normal functions (blood pressure increases as does heart rate).
Taking about 2-3 grams of glutamine pre-bed in water and on a empty stomach has been shown in research to increase growth hormone.

Needless to say I did talk with Rocky today and he suggested a sleep aid until I can get back on track and I will be so glad to try it tonight.  My voice is even starting to get raspy, so I know I am getting pretty bad off.  Now I think about how I have been so down on myself all week and I am sure it is because of my lack of sleep.  UGH!!  Do everything right and one little thing can make all efforts seem for nothing. 

Well momma is about to fix that and should be right as rain by tomorrow.  ;)  Thanks Rocky.

No comments:

Post a Comment