"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails." ~John Maxwell

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Nov 17th goal and more

Ok truth time!  I do not think I made my goal to drop 5 lbs by the 17th.  I am just going to go with I didn't to make it easy.  I do not own a scale, so I do not know, nor was I any where near an accurate one.  UGH!!  Honestly, no worries, nor am I too upset.  It would have been nice, but I know I was not putting in half the cardio I needed to make the goal, so I live with the results. 
Now to catch you guys up........last week my body was fatiguing way too early in my weight lifting sessions.  It was to the point that on my leg day I did 5 sets and walked out of the gym.  I was soo disgusted.  My muscles were so weak and tired, I thought WTH this is crazy to keep trying to push through this just to have a half A$$ workout.  (Can't stand that)  That was on Thursday.  On Friday some how I decided to let Harley train me for shoulders.  Harley delivered as usual, I just don't think I did.  Again, I was so weak and my muscles were just not responding well at all.  We did complete the workout, but that's about all I can say about it.
So what to do?  My body apparently needs a break.  I do not want to take a full week off from exercising, sooooo I guess it is time to move onto my 2012 bucket list.

I prepped this to be its own post, but I think it works well right here:

I have been cruising on for some time now with no clear goals or direction as to what I want to accomplish.  So many times I have said I want to do that or try that.  Only to get caught up in my usual routine and not get them done or even tried.  I don't want to be that person.  So, I have come up with a bucket list of sorts for me to reach in 2012. 


  • Drop and keep weight at or below 145lbs  
  • Pullups unassisted for 8
  • Bench press 100lbs for 5
  • Consistent diet, allowing cheats that are either planned or holidays
  • Increase cardio
  • Yoga at least 1 day a week
  • Spin at least 1 day a week
  • Crossfit at least 1 day a week
  • Olympic style lifts (incorporate at least one in every weight training workout)
  • Run a 5K and a 10K


I want to be able to show you this list again at the end of 2012 with all the items checked off.  Some I may already do and some I may can do and don't know it.  My goal is to find out how hard and how far I can push this.  

With that said, I started outdoor running last Saturday and have not missed a day yet.  I have decided a week out of the gym may do my body some good and give me a chance to get started on my running.

Let me clarify here a few minor details:
I have NEVER been an outdoor runner, I only recently discovered I could run on the treadmill, but have never been able to do any distance outside.
I have mitral valve prolapse, which I have never let hold me back, but in running it just means I am not capable of taking off running, I have to build up to a run.  Once I catch my wind, I can go.

I am learning new stuff every day I run.  It is really quite fascinating how quickly my body has responded.  So far the most I have run in a straight stretch is 2 miles.  And when I remembered to time my 2nd mile the other day I was at 11 minutes, which I know is sooooo slow, but it is a starting point.

I have to go now, to get some other things done, but I will keep you posted. 

If you haven't been out for a run in a while or ever, give it a try.  It has been a nice change up for me.

Crystal

6 comments:

  1. It isn't easy to build up your runs! I know, I'm really slow too... but outdoors is much harder than on a treadmill. :) And you're right! Its a starting point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl. I'm in the same boat. I've just been moving along with no real goals in mind. One big one is to run a marathon next year but my training for that won't start until mid January at the earliest. But I feel content right now, so I"m not going to put any pressure on myself. Don't fret, enjoy life =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If 11 minutes is slow, then I must be walking my runs instead of actually running them :)

    I like the idea of a bucket list for 2012!!

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta start somewhere! Making a list and getting a start on it (no matter where the starting point may be) is already a great accomplishment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be ecstatic if I could RUN 2 miles. I can barely make one.

    I hit the goal...but I didn't keep it off, I'm holding at 147 and extremely pleased not to have to mess with the scale anymore.

    I haven't had any real goals in awhile either...guess I should be working on some for 2012, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you have such ambitious goals.

    I find it difficult these days to juggle three jobs and the gym regularly. and by regularly I mean I go three times a week and that's it : (

    I miss my days of training two times a day. but I think that'll have to wait until Jan.

    Maybe my goal will be to do another competition!

    ReplyDelete