"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails." ~John Maxwell

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cellulite

OK so I didn't make it yesterday for my planned cardio session.  I will not go into excuses......just didn't do it.  So, I got my butt up at 4:30 this morning and went.  Did 25 min of incline tread followed by 3 butt and hip machine circuit.  Figure the cottage cheese is not going to go anywhere by itself.  Seriously, how much more do I have to do to get rid of it?  Granted, it has improved.  My skin does look better, but still not completely smooth as I would like.  (Talking about the cellulite on the back of my thighs)  Gross I know, but it is a real concern for all women.  Not just obese women have this problem. 

Soo, let's take a look:

Accordiong to the Mayo Clinic.....
Cellulite looks like dimpled or bumpy skin. It's sometimes described as skin with a cottage cheese texture. Cellulite ranges in severity.

Weight gain can make cellulite more noticeable, but cellulite may still be present in lean individuals. It tends to run in families, so genetics may play the biggest role in whether you develop cellulite.
Other factors that may increase your chances of having cellulite include:
  • Stress
  • An inactive lifestyle
  • Using hormonal contraceptives
(Ok I have to stop right there and point out a few things I have learned so far.....my problem probably is hereditary and possible stress related)  So.....

Treatments and drugs
Weight lossWeight loss — through healthy diet and regular exercise — is probably the most beneficial cellulite treatment. Losing pounds and strengthening muscles in your legs, thighs, buttocks and abdomen can improve the appearance of the dimpled skin.
This is what I am banking on.  My problem area has gotten better as I have cleaned up my diet and exercised more.  My goal of course is to eliminate it completely.  Maybe by bikini season next year I will be there.  (I may have discovered my new goal)
Lasers and radiofrequency systems
Perhaps the most promising medical therapy is lasers and radiofrequency systems. One system uses combined negative tissue massage, radiofrequency and infrared light to treat cellulite. Another system delivers combined tissue massage with diode laser energy. A third system uses radiofrequency at deep and superficial levels simultaneously to treat cellulite. All three systems offer improvements to cellulite after a series of treatments. Results may last up to six months. \


Really who has the money for something like this knowing it is a temporary fix with no guarentees???

Liposuction
Some people may turn to liposuction as a treatment for cellulite. During liposuction, a surgeon inserts a narrow tube under your skin through tiny incisions and then suctions out fat cells. Though liposuction can shape the body, it won't remove cellulite, and it may make the cellulite appear worse. Laser-assisted liposuction is a newer, less invasive form of this treatment that destroys fat cells while tightening the skin, and may be a more effective treatment for cellulite.


No Thank You!  I have watched the Med channel and I get sick just watching the procedure.  I could not handle having it done to me.  Plus, without diet and exercise again, it will come back.  Again, who has that kind of money??

Topical treatment
A twice daily application of 0.3 percent retinol cream has been shown to improve the appearance of cellulite after six months.


Surely, the cream is not cheap.  And I have a hard time believing the cream is what is doing the work.  Probably more so is the massaging you are doing to that area putting on the cream.  Cheaper to just massage and get the same results.  Might actually give this one a try.  ;)

Prevention
There is no way to prevent getting cellulite. Keeping off excess pounds and strengthening your muscles through regular exercise, however, can go a long way toward maintaining your skin tone and texture.

 Maybe if I do everything I know to do I might have a rear view like this for next summer...

Nicole Nagrani Ms. Bikini Olympia 2011

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem....mine is hereditary and I work my butt thighs and abs but to no avail....Even when I dieted down for the competition it was still visible :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed a HUGE improvement when I removed anything not natural from my diet. It was like... OVERNIGHT. I mean, anything sugar-free can cause fat to cluster together. I ditched sugar free syrups, gum, and even stevias wtih additives. Boom! And I have major stretchmarks, I was astounded at the change! It was noticeable to my trainer after a week.
    And you CAN have a rump like hers! I was seriously JUST looking at her progress pics over the last 2 years and its amazing... we can all make progress like that!

    ReplyDelete