"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails." ~John Maxwell

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Kale Chips


If you have not tried, you might like. 

I bought a little bunch of kale the other day because I could have sworn I saw a post about kale chips and wanted to try them. 




Baked Kale - Potato Chip Substitute Recipe


Submitted by cfedor

Makes 1 serving

Healthy, low calorie alternative to potato chips. When baked, Kale tastes like plain chips.

Ingredients
1cup Fresh Kale
1tsp olive oil
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Wash then pull leafy part of kale away from stalk
  3. Place kale on baking sheet
  4. Lightly drizzle olive oil on kale
  5. Bake in oven for approx. 10 minutes or until the edges of the leaf are crispy
  6. Eat plain or sprinkle 1 tbsp of your favorite seasoning on the kale for different flavor
Categories

Appetizers, Snacks, Super Bowl, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 71.5g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 73
Calories from Fat
 44
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4.9g
8%
Saturated Fat 0.6g
3%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 0mg
0%
Sodium 29mg
1%
Total Carbohydrates 6.7g
2%
Dietary Fiber 1.3g
5%
Protein 2.2g

Vitamin A 206%Vitamin C 134%
Calcium 9%Iron 6%
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional details are an estimate and should only be used as a guide for approximation.
Legend
Fat
Protein
Carbs
Alcohol
Other

Calorie Breakdown (?)
Nutrition Breakdown
The only thing I did differently was I poured a tablespoon or so of olive oil on to my cooking tin and swirled it all around the sheet, then spread my kale out, sprinkled it with salt, 1/2 I seasoned with Mrs. Dash onion and herb, and the other 1/2 I seasoned with crushed red pepper.  Sprayed it lightly with olive oil cooking spray.  Baked it for about 20ish minutes till crispy.  I LOVE it!  It is definitely like eating chips.  It disintegrates in your mouth, like cotton candy, but just not sweet.  A perfect salty treat! 


1 comment:

  1. I didn't think I'd like them. At all. But when I finally tried them, I found I did!

    ReplyDelete