"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails." ~John Maxwell

Friday, June 8, 2012

Interview with Harley

Let me start by saying all of you who have followed my blog for any time know Harley is my jack-of-all-trades; boyfriend, trainer, nutritionist.  He has helped me mold my body over the last 3 years and even more so over this last few months.  There are times when he thinks I do not "hear" what he has to say, but I value his opinion and input so much more than any others.  He is all in this.  He has researched/read/tried/done/experimented with more than most of us have ever even considered.  He can tell you about any exercise/supplement/diet you can think of.  He has read it all and remembers it like he just read it today.  It is impressive.  He is very impressive.

This interview was done last weekend when Harley was 6 weeks out from the Louisiana State Bodybuilding show, July 14th, in Lafayette, La.  When I saw him just now, I could tell he has already changed again.  His hands and arms are more vascular, his face is starting to pull, his waist looks so tiny which is making his shoulders appear even bigger.  He is tired a lot and you can tell the diet and training is wearing on him...

Name:  Harley Ryder
Height:  6'
Weight:  235
Age:  31
Occupation:  Personal Trainer at Built By Don Fields Gym
Pictures taken on a "back" day.....

How did you get started in bodybuilding:  "I started working out for football in high school then I realized I wanted to look strong too, like a professional wrestler.  I picked up a Flex magazine when I was 17 and I became infatuated with how those guys could change their bodies at will.  When I was about 21 there was some guys at my gym that competed and I thought if they can do that I sure could too.  That's when  I decided to look at the competitive side."

What keeps you training consistently after all these years?  "I've literally worked out at least 4 days a week since I was 16.  The longest break being a week, maybe two every several years.  Its such a part of my life, I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't train.  And there's always improvements to be made." 

What is your training split and why?
Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Legs
Wednesday - Shoulders
Thursday - Off
Friday - Back
Saturday - Arms
Sunday - Off
"I do best with one workout for each body part a week.  I tried a (4 on, 1 off) one year and consistently felt over trained.  The parts are split up to wherever the secondary muscles get at least 48 hours or rest before being worked directly or indirectly again."



What is your favorite body part to train and why?  "Surprisingly legs because they need the most improvement and every workout brings that.  I feel I just learned how to work my legs properly this last year, so the workouts are fresh."

Do you do any cardio?  If so, what, how often, and for how long?  "Yes.  It varies.  Currently 45 minutes or 30 minutes either treadmill, elliptical, stair climber, or if I'm really depleted station bike.  I try to keep my heart rate about 120-140."


Tell us about your diet/supplements:  "I supplement with whey protein.  My diet at the moment is high protein, low fat, lower carb with carb up days thrown in.  I eat every 2-3 hours 50 grams of protein each meal.  That's the only constant."


Why do you want to compete?  "I've always wanted to win my weight class at the state championships.  Other than that the actual competition doesn't excite me that much.  I do like the challenge of getting yourself into competitive shape.  I think you learn alot about yourself when your starving, depleted, and exhausted."



What has been your biggest struggle with prepping for this show?  "I have a tendency to want to do too much, over diet and over cardio, so the biggest challenge has been to subjectively monitor my progress and make changes.  My body is alot different than it used to be and the learning process has been miserable at times."



What excites you about being a trainer?  And what is the worst thing about being a trainer?  "That I can have a positive impact on someones life and help them accomplish a goal or even a dream.  The worst thing is lazy clients who want a quick fix and only apply themselves halfway."

What past or present bodybuilder inspires you?  Why?  "Flex Wheeler.  In 1993 he was what I'd consider physical perfection.  If I could get even close to that I'd be happy."


Harley chillin at his pool on Sunday afternoon.  :)


Thank you Harley for doing my very 1st interview and especially for making my 300th post the best yet!  I love you and am so proud of all you have done.  (And I truly appreciate each and every workout you do to make that gorgeous bod)   :)




2 comments: